We're Moving!!

Don't forget to change your readers and bookmarks to www.firstimpressionsbaby.com/blog! We won't be here for much longer (we have a new home)!

Friday, February 22, 2008

Childproofing 101

For some odd reason, I never got around to childproofing. And, once Baby L was born, I either didn't have the time or was just too exhausted. And, now that L is a whopping 10 months old , I spend even more time chasing after her. I love her inquisitive nature, but it has come time to make it safe for her to "explore."

So, I'm writing a guide. Perhaps you are right there with me or...perhaps you've been there done that and just want to laugh as I crawl around on my hands and knees (they told me to) to find new perils that can befall my precious child.

My checklist:

_ Use Safety Latches and Locks
_ Put Safety Gates Up to block entry to stairs, and to rooms baby doesn't need to go
_ Anti-Scald Devices for faucets and Shower heads
_ Smoke Detectors (if you have one, test it)
_ Window Guards and Safety Netting to prevent falls from window, balconies,
decks, and windows OR purchase windows with window locks on top and
window stops so windows can't be opened further
_ Corner and Edge Bumpers for furniture
_ Outlet Covers and Outlet Plates
_ Carbon Monoxide Detectors for homes with gas or oil heat or with attached
garages
_ Door Stops and Door Holders
_ Door locks that can't be reached by a toddler (deadbolt).
_ Secure any furniture that could topple over
_ Remove anything within baby's reach that can break or be swallowed or is
otherwise harmful
_ Install a toilet safety latch
_ Tie up window blind cords and other cords that may be laying around


Any additions?

2 comments:

Momisodes said...

We never really got around to babyproofing much with our daughter either. We mostly used gates and outlet covers. The house we're in now is baby proofed like crazy (by the previous owners). THey have everything on your list and also have stove knob covers, the magnetic locks on all of the kitchen cabinets, and a fireplace lock.

Kat said...

We still haven't baby proofed our kitchen after remodeling this past summer. Ugh. We really should do that. Thanks for the reminder!